I’ve never been nominated for a blog award before, so this is really, really exciting for me!!! Antipodal Pull doesn’t typically get much traffic, so being noticed is such a sweet surprise. I’m all smiles!
Thank you so much to respectmyselfblog (whom I’ll leave unnamed since she’s anonymous on her blog) for this nomination.
I’ll be honest, I used to think the whole blog award thing was tacky and self-serving, especially since anyone can just invent an award if they want to. But I’ve recently been making an effort to get more involved with the blogosphere, comment on blogs, respond to comments on my blog – and it’s completely changed my perspective!
The fact that anyone can create an award to share with blogs they enjoy and find deserving is exactly what’s valuable about these nominations. Someone who knows your writing personally has to think of you – and who knows your writing better than a regular reader?
I’m truly touched by this square of pixelated recognition because of the very real person who had my blog pop into her brain when she thought about blogs she enjoyed reading.
I’m learning a lot about blogging social culture from this nomination. For one thing, awards apparently come with stipulations. But these rules seem like they’re either fun or just common courtesy, so I don’t mind them at all!
Here are the rules for this award:
- Put the award logo/image on your blog
- List the rules
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- Nominate 10 – 20 people
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question
- Share a link to your best post(s)
The creator of this award, FYI, is 19-year-old beauty/lifestyle blogger Okoto Enigma.
I was asked a few questions and here come the answers! Probably more than you’ll ever care to know about me or any other stranger, but here we go:
What is your favorite season of the year? I’m a spring girl through and through! It might be a seasonal depression thing, but I definitely feel a new sense of hope every time the days begin to grow longer and the air smells like soil, rebirth, growth.
Half-full, half-empty, or… other? Probably half-empty, but I’m working on it.
What inspired you to create your blog? What was its original purpose? I recently addressed this in August’s monthly update, but I had the asinine idea that I would become a literary superstar immediately after graduating college. (I’m exaggerating my narcissism slightly, but you get the point.) I made this blog to house my fiction. Now I mostly write about my nonfiction life, which is often more than fantastical enough for me.
What was the best advice ever given to you that you wish to share? My therapist once asked me what I would do if I could meet my past self and I said I would punch her in the face. I thought it was kind of funny, but she found it worryingly sad. She told me to remember that we all do the best we can with the knowledge and experience we have at the time. I think that thought really helps me forgive myself for not being… better. Because, really, if we’re capable of making better decisions, we generally do.
If you could be any person other than yourself for a day, who would you be, and why? I’d rather be my cat, because she just knows how to live, man.
Three Fun Facts
- When I was a kid I always wanted to be a zookeeper and work in a big cat sanctuary. I actually still want to do that, if someone wants to offer me the job!!
- I had my first kiss when I was a freshman in college. It tasted like beer and it was wet and awful. (0/10 Would NOT recommend kissing Mike the drunk lacrosse guy.)
- My thumbs are double jointed.
My Top Blog Posts
When I think of the blogs I adore that have a smaller audience (this is the Mystery Blogger Award, after all) these ones come to mind. Each of them is incredibly deserving and I encourage you to check them all out – find a few new favorite reads!
- Mikki at schikimikki | travel & lifestyle
- v at broken to golden | poetry
- Natalie at We Live Here 360 |perspectives from strangers around the world
- Lu at Uncensored | poetry & personal essays
- Nina at Black Perfectionist | fashion & lifestyle
- Ernie at Pesky Women | “comical sexual politics” & social commentary
- Eve at Unedited | musings of a drama student in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Bri at A Small Slice of Bri | fashion, lifestyle & paleo foods
- Sarah at Mission:Incomplete | book reviews & social commentary
- Yün at Life of Yun | MIT college blogging
Questions for the Nominees
- What’s your most productive work environment?
- Who was your first celebrity crush?
- Where is your favorite place you’ve ever traveled?
- What’s (one of) your biggest goal(s) in life?
- If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
Thanks again to respectmyselfblog and all the other bloggers who continue to read and support my writing. It means the world to me.